Old St. Mary's Church Museum
Tours can be made by appointment: (608) 637-739
St. Mary's Catholic Church 606 W. Broadway St. Viroqua was dedicated in the summer of 1908 on this original site. The lot was donated by Mayor Chase and John Dawson gave his services free as architect and superintendent. Chris Peterson was builder and contractor. Funds were contributed by non-catholic as well as catholic.
St. Mary's remained a mission church attached to the Rising Sun parish for the next forty years before becoming an independent parish in 1947. All museum artifacts presently housed in the Vernon County Museum were housed in this church from 1961 - 1989.
Now, thanks to many volunteer hours and donations the "old Catholic Church" is a church again. It is not known where the original furnishings of St. Mary's Church went. The present altar is from South Kickapoo Church near Folsom. The candle sticks and two angel statues are from St. Charles church of rural Viroqua.
Dedicating and Laying the Foundation
St. Mary's Church Completed
The church as it appears today:
It may be rented for weddings, baptisms and select other events.