Membership in the Vernon County Historical Society
includes a subscription to the quarterly newsletter and free admission to the museum.
General membership meetings are held monthly (except June, July, August and December)
the first Tuesday of each month. Donations towards upkeep of the Vernon County
Historical Society's four sites can be sent to the Vernon County Historical Society
at PO Box 444, Viroqua, WI 54665 or to the Vernon County Museum, 410 S.
Center Ave., Viroqua, Wisconsin 54665.
Click here for a printable membership form.
Become a member or renew on-line:
What is the Dawson Club**
In 1941 John Jeremiah McLain "Jerre" Dawson and other prominent citizens chartered the first Vernon County Historical Society. He donated his house and land for the first museum and became the society's first president. The first museum was located where the Vernon Memorial Hospital now stands.
The Dawson Club was created in 1991 from a suggestion to have a "$100 per year" club in honor of Jerre Dawson. The sole purpose of the club was to raise additional funds on an annual basis. The money was to be used for special projects or items suggested by the Museum staff and to be chosen by the members of the club.
Purchases made with the money from the club include:
-Signs for the four Vernon County Historical Sites
-Restoration of the 1878 map of Vernon County
-Fire Detection System at the Sherry-Butt House
-A storage shed for the Museum
-Electronic equipment including:
computer hardware and software
AV equipment for the conference room
microfilm and microfiche readers.
**Taken from the "Dawson Heritage Club and Dawson Family History" Available at the Museum.