The Vernon County Museum located at 410 S. Center Avenue in Viroqua, built during 1918 and 1919, was a training school for teachers. The Teachers College or "County Normal School" as it was called, was under the jurisdiction of the County Board of Supervisors.
The students were required to complete a one-year program until 1937 when it was changed to a two-year course. As part of the program, a (Model) School, was included for future teachers to work with actual students until 1965. In 1972 only four year college degreed teachers were being licensed. Therefore the teachers college was closed after graduating nearly 2,000 teachers. No permanent use was made of the building until 1989 when it was purchased by the Vernon County Historical Society to be used as a museum.
Today the Historical Society has genealogy and a local history research area. Exhibits include the teaching classroom, archaeology, military history, a general store, the Astronaut Mark Lee Space exhibit and agricultural exhibits such as the tobacco exhibit, which was an important agricultural product in Vernon County for many years.
The museum is also fully wheelchair-accessible from the first floor entryway, research area, conference room and restroom to all of the second and third floor exhibits - Thanks to the new elevator!
Speaking of exhibits: