Apfel/Evenstad Barn (3)
photo credit: June Pedretti
This barn was built in 1914 when George and Ida (Schroeder) Apfel owned the farm. The Apfels decided on a round barn with the thought that it would be a work saver; not as many steps would be needed to feed the cattle. Apparently, Charles Bennett, Joe Haugh and Homer Marshall helped George Apfel build the barn. It has sheet metal siding, a center silo, a two-pitch roof, and a cement foundation. Annette Apfel reports that during its first summer, the barn was used for an ice cream social to help raise funds for the church.
Until the 1950's, the barn was used for milking and to house dairy and other farm animals. The Apfel family owned the barn unitl 1977 when they sold it to Kenton Evensted. He has maintained it well, and uses the barn for storing hay and to house horses. The barn was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
Back to the main tour page or continue the tour:
- 4. Ontario (west) –Hwy.131 to Lower Ridge Rd.
or cut across on Dobbs Valley Rd. to Lower Ridge Rd. North side of Lower Ridge Rd.
- 6. Mt. Tabor (west) – From the north: Cty.F to Harris Rd. From the south: Hwy.33 to Harris Rd. West side of the road.
- 7. Mt. Tabor (north) – From Cty.F north on Cty. V. East side of the road.
- 8. Mt. Tabor (south) – From Cty.F south on Cty. V. East side of the road.
- 9. Trippville – Cty.F to Dank Rd. At the end of Dank Rd.
- 1. Viroqua –Hwy.56 east to Defreese St./Upper Maple Dale Rd.
North side of the road.
- 2. Bloomingdale – Cty.S to Pa’s Rd. South side of road.