Dank/Noecker Barn (9)
photo credit: June Pedretti
Unfortunately, this barn was destroyed by a storm in July, 2019
This barn was built in 1921 by Alga Shivers for Joe Dank. Today, Mr. Dank's great-grandson, Gary Dank owns the barn. The farm was passed from Joe to his son Frank and then to his son Laramie. Laramie's wife writes: "Joe Dank had Alga Shivers and a crew of neighbors build him a round barn. The fourth generation is using it. The barn is 60 feet across and in the center is a 12x48 foot silo that is no longer used." She states that though round barns used more lumber than rectangular barns, the ease of feeding animals could have been a reason for building a round barn.
The barn was gradually modernized beginning in the 1950's. First, in 1950 a milk house was added, and then a bulk tank in 1976, and a pipeline milker in 1981. A barn cleaner was added in 1979 with no corner wheel; rather a steel plate was placed inside the wall of the gutter. A tornado twisted the barn in 1983 and the Mitchell Construction crew was called in to straighten it.
Back to the main tour page or continue the tour:
- 1. Viroqua –Hwy.56 east to Defreese St./Upper Maple Dale Rd.
North side of the road.
- 2. Bloomingdale – Cty.S to Pa’s Rd. South side of road.
- 3. Dell – Cty.P just east of Dell. North side of the road.
- 4. Ontario (west) –Hwy.131 to Lower Ridge Rd.
or cut across on Dobbs Valley Rd. to Lower Ridge Rd. North side of Lower Ridge Rd.
- 6. Mt. Tabor (west) – From the north: Cty.F to Harris Rd. From the south: Hwy.33 to Harris Rd. West side of the road.
- 7. Mt. Tabor (north) – From Cty.F north on Cty. V. East side of the road.
- 8. Mt. Tabor (south) – From Cty.F south on Cty. V. East side of the road.