Harris/Kaplan Barn (6)
photo credit: Kristen Parrott
The Harris family owned this farm for nearly a century. Mr. Harris settled in Wisconsin from Virginia after the Civil War. The barn was built in 1906 for George Harris by Alga Shivers, an African American who built many barns in Vernon County.
All of the timbers and lumber for the barn came from the farm. The sides of the barn are bent maple that was cut, air dried, and steamed on a mold. The stones for the foundation also came from the farm. As was common, a silo was in the center of the barn. The George and Burl Harris families used the barn as a dairy for their herd of Jerseys. The barn was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017.
Back to the main tour page or continue the tour:
- 7. Mt. Tabor (north) – From Cty.F north on Cty. V. East side of the road.
- 8. Mt. Tabor (south) – From Cty.F south on Cty. V. East side of the road.
- 9. Trippville – Cty.F to Dank Rd. At the end of Dank Rd.
- 1. Viroqua –Hwy.56 east to Defreese St./Upper Maple Dale Rd.
North side of the road.
- 2. Bloomingdale – Cty.S to Pa’s Rd. South side of road.
- 3. Dell – Cty.P just east of Dell. North side of the road.
- 4. Ontario (west) –Hwy.131 to Lower Ridge Rd.
or cut across on Dobbs Valley Rd. to Lower Ridge Rd. North side of Lower Ridge Rd.